Monday, June 20, 2016

4-18-16 The Power of Hymns

I could say a whole lot about what happened this week but I'm just gonna narrow it down to a few highlights

1. new companion! Her name is Sister Richards! Really pretty and smart girl. So grateful she is my companion:)

2. I drove into another small ditch last night.......

3.Before the mission, I was the primary chorister where we learned the song He Sent His Son in sign language (thank you Cheyenne Housel for inspiring me with that). We met a deaf woman and have been trying to teach her. She understands a little just by reading our lips but when it came to taking the Book of Mormon from us she wouldn't. That just didn't sit right with me. So I began to sign the song He Sent His Son to her. (Surprisingly remembering all the signs) and then held the Book of Mormon to her and said "That is what the Book of Mormon is all about." She took the Book of Mormon and I thought I saw tears in her eyes. Then begin signing "Thank you. Thank you" over and over again. There is only so  much we can do as missionaries. But the Spirit really can testify to someone of the truth we speak even if it is on simple childlike terms. 

3. Friday night our appointments fell through and suddenly no member was able to come out with us. I was a mess trying to find someone or place to got and teach. We head to this apartment complex looking for a less active unable to find him. It was dark and I couldn't see anything.  Sister Richards said "there is a person there maybe we can ask her for help."  Instantly I saw the person she was talking about and we drive up to her and before thinking I rolled down the window and started talking to her. Too make a long story short, she is a 26 mother expecting her first in May. She recently had a death in the family and has just been struggling. We talked with her and got to know her and she is an incredible woman. She bragged about her husband being a preacher too!. Then we asked if we could sing a hymn with her. She called to her husband and asked him to join us, he came out (super friendly and cool guy!) and we sang How great thou art and said a prayer. It was funny she introduced us to him as "God fearing 19 year old girls!" haha. anywho we invited them to church and they said they would try to make it. But on Sunday morning, we find out that she was vomiting all night and well just expecting a baby and the symptoms with that. But that night we went to visit with them. It was a a great visit and got to know them a lot better! He considers himself to be a truth seeker and is so willing to read the Book of Mormon and looking on our websites which is great! his desire to learn is incredible. We sang Come thou Fount with them before we leave and he tells us how grateful he is for us, because he hasn't heard his wife sing in over a year until last night. (and they are both so inloved and in tuned with music).  Friday night was where we needed to be. Lost and willing to talk to anyone. (Sis Richards tells me that she doesn't even remember telling me that there was someone we could ask. But she did. the spirit really guide both of us to find her.) and to make this long story short and shorter-i love hymns. it was through songs that we were able to touch these 2 women's hearts and soften a mans. that is how powerful music is. and I'm grateful that I was raised in such a musical home:)

well we are going out for a hike now! pics to come next week:)
love you all!! and thanks for the prayers:)


Sister Pollard

No comments:

Post a Comment