Monday, June 20, 2016

5-16-16 The power and strength of a testimony

For today I'm only going to share one story even though I could share many and would like to.

For dinner a member took us out to eat. It was just the three of us that went to a Chinese buffet. After dinner, we pulled out our Book of Mormon and the Ensign to share an uplifting message.  Our message came from the Book of Ether about the Brother of Jared. while I was describing the story one of the employees (a tall mid aged man) came up and asked if he could listen in. I thought "oh how cool!" so of course I said yes, but then he asked what book I had. I told him it was the Book of Mormon and I asked him if he has ever heard it before. Apparently he had and started saying things about it and about Joseph Smith that were not true. Fear and Anxiety quickly filled my mind. and I was thinking rapidly of what to say. How to get him to understand, what will soften his heart?? I mentioned the Holy Ghost. He understood.But still not wanting to hear the "Book of Mormon of Joseph Smith". Before I could bite my tongue, it was loosed. and I began telling him of my personal testimony and witness of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith. I felt a fire burning within my heart. He could only look at us. and the fear I had felt before was not of fear of my testimony or a fear of him. In fact it was a fear of feeling inadequate and incapable of what he needed to hear. But knowing that I have been preparing for a moment like this (reading daily, being obedient, keeping the covenants I made, praying daily) I knew that the Lord would help me, and he did. I didn't say much. only "Sir, I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and nothing will change that." He changed, suddenly we were talking about daily repentance, he wasn't attacking us anymore but having a conversation and what we both knew to be true. I've learned that it is very important to shake peoples hands. It shows them that we are servants of the Lord. I shook his hand and he became more appreciative. We said our goodbyes, we finished our message with the member, and we began to leave. As we were walking out the door the man came up to us again and told me that he has never met a Mormon who spoke of the holy spirit like I did. He's a smart man who loves his savior. I'm sure over time, his heart will be softened and he will be humbled so that he to can feel the burning in his heart like I did. 

Always have the Savior on your lips. and be worthy when you speak of him:)

love you all!

Sister Pollard

No comments:

Post a Comment